Todd Filtz the NEW Canton McKinley Football Head Coach

This forum is first and foremost about the 12-time State Champion Football Bulldogs of McKinley High. Analysis, opinions, and commentary about the happenings at Fawcett Stadium have a home here.
Ringo1
Junior Dog

Todd Filtz the NEW Canton McKinley Football Head Coach

Post by Ringo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Congratulations to Todd Filtz on becoming the new McKinley Head coach. This is a great pick to usher in a new era of football. He is a young energetic guy that wants to win. He understands what it will take. Being from Steubenville, he knows what kind of hard core mentality it takes to win in N.E. Ohio. If this pick does'nt get you fired up for this upcoming season, you are not breathing. The Ron Johnson era is over, he did an outstanding job winning football games. Thank You Ron for your time and efforts you will always be remembered in one way or the other. :!:

We need to welcome this new coach , which I know you all will, into the Bulldog Nation and support him and the players he will guide. He is Red and Black now.

It's time to move on, there is no rearview mirror.

stubs
Sophomore Dog

Re: Todd Filtz the NEW Canton McKinley Football Head Coach

Post by stubs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:09 pm

I agree Coach Filtz may have humble beginnings but he knows what it takes to win. The level does not matter, just BEAT MASSILLON and get to the Playoffs simple enough yes hard to do yes possible YES AND SOME MORE PLAYOFF TITLES GO BULLDOGS WORK YOUR *** OFF FOOTBALL IS COMING SOON ENOUGH
“Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” -- Vince Lombardi

muhammod ali
Elite Squad of the Bulldog Nation

Post by muhammod ali » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Ringo1 wrote:Congratulations to Todd Filtz on becoming the new McKinley Head coach. This is a great pick to usher in a new era of football. He is a young energetic guy that wants to win. He understands what it will take. Being from Steubenville, he knows what kind of hard core mentality it takes to win in N.E. Ohio. If this pick does'nt get you fired up for this upcoming season, you are not breathing. The Ron Johnson era is over, he did an outstanding job winning football games. Thank You Ron for your time and efforts you will always be remembered in one way or the other. :!:

We need to welcome this new coach , which I know you all will, into the Bulldog Nation and support him and the players he will guide. He is Red and Black now.

It's time to move on, there is no rearview mirror.
Amen brother Bulldog....I couldn't have said it better.Welcome coach Filtz as the new McKinley Head coach!!

Lets go pups...Lets go pups...Lets go pups!!!

Raymo

Post by Raymo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Good luck to you Todd Filtz and congrates on being the next CANTON McKINLEY head football coach,BEAT MASSILLON and then to the playoffs,GO PUPS!

bcommon
Just a Pup

Post by bcommon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Good move while saving face. 1 year contract isn't long enough.

just a fan

Post by just a fan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:16 pm

I have nothing against Filtz, just as I have nothing against the other candidates, but I will say that there were several coaches in the list of 54 that had a better resume than Filtz.

Look at the scores, he ranked 4th out of the five candidates. The superintendent said that the post rating discussions were consistent with (i.e. backed up) the committee member scores. If thats the case, then it means that the hiring committee selected Tim Tyrell. So, as best as I can tell, the superintendent went against the voice of the hiring committee. Why?

If I were a member of the "***," I'd be upset. I'd be upset not because a black coach wasn't hired, but because the District pulled together a committee (favoring the opinion of the "***") to select the next coach, the committee made their selection, and then the District ignored it. They were used! Likewise, there's no reason for the "Johnson supporters" to be happy. Forget the top five.....Johnson's resume trumps all of those resumes. Forget Johnson....there were other applicants who trump both Filtz and Johnson but never got an interview.

Nothing has changed! Why? Because the coach of Canton McKinley High School was never the problem. The problem is much larger than a football coach position. In a few years, we'll be right back in this same situation. Why? Because nothing has changed!

Samuel E Altimore IV
Veteran Bulldog

Re: Re: Todd Filtz the NEW Canton McKinley Football Head Coa

Post by Samuel E Altimore IV » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

just a fan wrote:I have nothing against Filtz, just as I have nothing against the other candidates, but I will say that there were several coaches in the list of 54 that had a better resume than Filtz.

Look at the scores, he ranked 4th out of the five candidates. The superintendent said that the post rating discussions were consistent with (i.e. backed up) the committee member scores. If thats the case, then it means that the hiring committee selected Tim Tyrell. So, as best as I can tell, the superintendent went against the voice of the hiring committee. Why?

If I were a member of the "***," I'd be upset. I'd be upset not because a black coach wasn't hired, but because the District pulled together a committee (favoring the opinion of the "***") to select the next coach, the committee made their selection, and then the District ignored it. They were used! Likewise, there's no reason for the "Johnson supporters" to be happy. Forget the top five.....Johnson's resume trumps all of those resumes. Forget Johnson....there were other applicants who trump both Filtz and Johnson but never got an interview.

Nothing has changed! Why? Because the coach of Canton McKinley High School was never the problem. The problem is much larger than a football coach position. In a few years, we'll be right back in this same situation. Why? Because nothing has changed!
Well said Renee, the process AND those involved are certainly flawed. With that being said. Todd Filtz is the new coach, and he should be supported. I will give my support as I always do. But this BOE should NOT be let off the hook for how they have operated since January and even before that. Welcome Coach! Good luck and carry on the great McKinley tradition!

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
Samuel E Altimore IV Class of 1995

victor parks
Just a Pup

Post by victor parks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:54 pm

cmon jaf ! a new coach was named, all the resumes , scores ,top 5 etc etc etc doesnt matter anymore..... WE HAVE THE TOP ONE! TODD FILTZ....He's the coach therefore he is on top...LET'S SUPPORT OUR DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!

pappydawg
Freshman Pup

Post by pappydawg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Perfect Hire Committe JOB WELL DONE. So long Johnson. Time to get to where we need to be WITH FILTZ which is State. GO Bulldogs. Great Day.

Neumpsy69
Just a Pup

Post by Neumpsy69 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Can't wait until football season. GOOD LUCK COACH FILTZ! LETS GO BULLDOG'S. :D :lol: :D :lol:

GoPups2006
McKinley Hall of Famer

Post by GoPups2006 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 am

Ringo1 wrote: It's time to move on, there is no rearview mirror.
I like the decision as much as anybody, but this is exactly the wrong position to take here. As Renee has said multiple times (and what people continue to fail to recognize) is that it has never been just about one person or coach. It's about a broken and flawed system that needs fixed. In response to your 'no rearview mirror' analogy, I'd propose the famous quote "If you don't learn from the past, you're doomed to repeat it".

Raymo

Post by Raymo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am

I need to go back to school,after reading TP'S article in THE REP and seeing the total scoring of the last eleven someone please explain to me the final process.These numbers are crazy from some members,I see why people walked out.

mattuneDog
Junior Dog

Post by mattuneDog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 am

very thankful for the pick of the new top Dog !!! :arrow: time to unite and get back the Canton McKinley unity of DA BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: Time to move on....... :!:

sloanchile
Veteran Bulldog

Post by sloanchile » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 pm

just a fan wrote:I have nothing against Filtz, just as I have nothing against the other candidates, but I will say that there were several coaches in the list of 54 that had a better resume than Filtz.

jaf -there were not "several" canidates more deserving than the coach they picked ..that just isnt true .... sorry jaffy -- those scores you were referring to do not make the resume for a canidate --- success on the field and off the field does ...Filtzy will get his chance to succeed or fail but

Rick Roloff
Just a Pup

Post by Rick Roloff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:10 pm

The scores reflect the 1st round of interviews. The 5 finalists were interviewed a 2nd time by a qualified panel as opposed to the community members who, no disrespect, really shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. The recommendation and hiring of Filtz takes BOTH interview phases into account. The published scores only take the 1st. We will see if he gets run out of town in a couple years or if he is just lining himself up to replace the long standing Steubenville coach whenever he retires. Maybe he will be here for 25 years and bring the community together and we will all live happily ever after?

Raymo

Post by Raymo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Rick Roloff wrote:The scores reflect the 1st round of interviews. The 5 finalists were interviewed a 2nd time by a qualified panel as opposed to the community members who, no disrespect, really shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. The recommendation and hiring of Filtz takes BOTH interview phases into account. The published scores only take the 1st. We will see if he gets run out of town in a couple years or if he is just lining himself up to replace the long standing Steubenville coach whenever he retires. Maybe he will be here for 25 years and bring the community together and we will all live happily ever after?
I hope so too,at least we have him for a year and I'm looking forward to August.

The Butler
Junior Dog

Post by The Butler » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Rick Roloff wrote: We will see if he gets run out of town in a couple years or if he is just lining himself up to replace the long standing Steubenville coach whenever he retires. Maybe he will be here for 25 years and bring the community together and we will all live happily ever after?
Maybe Big Red will show up on the schedule in a few years.

MAZ
Freshman Pup

Post by MAZ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm

JAF, you are out of your mind, jaded by your own self servicing ego and agenda. Filtz was far and away the most qualified applicant. He took an inter-city school with a higher minority population than MCK and played in 2 Ohio state championships in 3 years. (Wining one on the field). Name one other applicant that had that on their resume? What is Johnson record on the field in playoffs? Filtz was supported by the Maple community for what he did for his kids, team and community. (No controversy like Johnson). Your true colors have finally been exposed. It is your way or the highway throwing out any objective criteria or logic. The sad part is you do not realize you are part of the PROBLEM not part of the solution. Keep your money out of Canton and McKinley, we DO NOT NEED YOU! I will ALWAYS support McKinley athletics even with below average coaches like Johnson. Congratulations to the administration you are now two for two, in hiring the most qualified coaches to lead McKinley in basketball and Football. Championship teams and the McKinley swagger and respect are finally back!

IMABULLDOG
Just a Pup

Post by IMABULLDOG » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

"Perhaps nothing is as all-consuming as hatred in our lives. While we may find it hard to forgive, while we may want to wish great harm on another person, hatred eats at us and destroys us. Hateful remarks show us that hate and love are not diametrically opposed on a scale, but rather, exist right next to one another. Hateful posts show us the folly of expending our energy on such a negative, hurtful force." I have watched all of us stand and high-five, hug, and scream together after a great bulldog win. If only we could look at what is best for the team, and not for "us", we would enjoy McKinley sports so much more, and quit chasing would-be fans and supporters away. Division is putting added pressure on the young athletes at McK and hurting attendance at games - PERIOD.

victor parks
Just a Pup

Post by victor parks » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 am

"Perhaps nothing is as all-consuming as hatred in our lives. While we may find it hard to forgive, while we may want to wish great harm on another person, hatred eats at us and destroys us. Hateful remarks show us that hate and love are not diametrically opposed on a scale, but rather, exist right next to one another. Hateful posts show us the folly of expending our energy on such a negative, hurtful force." I have watched all of us stand and high-five, hug, and scream together after a great bulldog win. If only we could look at what is best for the team, and not for "us", we would enjoy McKinley sports so much more, and quit chasing would-be fans and supporters away. Division is putting added pressure on the young athletes at McK and hurting attendance at games - PERIOD.

exactly what i been saying all along! plus some more...thank you imabulldog

Raymo

Post by Raymo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 am

Anyone have some names that Coach Filtz will add to his staff,I know it's early but he is young and eager to get started.